We designed and built this Sonoma Valley custom home for our clients so they could move from the city to a rural property their family
has owned for generations. They entertain often; sharing their new wine-country lifestyle, and being closer to family and
friends, were their top priorities.
The property is surrounded by trees and vineyards; it was important to our clients that the home’s design include:
– a strong connection between indoor/outdoor living spaces;
– an open floor plan with lots of natural light and room for entertaining;
– a guest suite separate from the main living area.
We achieved these priorities by:
– Extending the kitchen and dining area to the outdoors via a covered patio, accessed by fold-and-stack glass doors;
– Creating a large, waterproof deck over the garage, off the Master Suite, that could also be accessed by a spiral
staircase from the backyard.
– Installing skylights on the second floor, and large glass doors leading from interior to exterior that let in lots of natural
– Creating a Guest Suite, separated from the main house by the garage, giving the clients and guests plenty of privacy.
Special design features include:
– A novel and charming outdoor shower with rustic fixtures (suitable for human and canine bathing);
– Old barn wood and door hardware recycled and repurposed into new interior “barn” doors; the materials came from
existing structures on the property and allowed the clients to incorporate family history into their new home;
– A space-saving wine closet and small wet-bar were fit in under the stairs leading to the second floor.
The clients wanted an open, light-filled space that still felt cozy, comfortable and welcoming. They tell us that we more
than exceeded their vision for the home.