2017 National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) Winning Project (North Bay)
The owners of this home purchased it for the purpose of relocating and retiring. The couple entertain frequently, so an open interior floorplan – with direct access to the outdoors for grilling and dining al fresco – was a top priority. With grown children and a young grandson still residing in the state they had left behind, they also desired a guest suite to host family for extended visits. For quiet time alone and individual private space to work on separate projects, he requested a “mancave; “she wanted a bright and cheery “she-shed.“
1.The media room and dining room were switched, which created better flow in the great room. An EPA-approved wood burning stove replaced the old fireplace, and a custom-built wine bar was added.
2. An unused room behind the kitchen was reconfigured to make the room larger; a butler‘s pantry was added, and the kitchen island made deeper. Custom cabinets were installed with more functional storage features. 3. The deck off the new great room was screened-in to allow for a bugfree extension to the outside, where clients could enjoy morning coffee or wine in the evenings.
4. The old laundry room and pantry were reconfigured to create a larger, much more elegant powder room.
5. The tub in the Master Bathroom was replaced with a double, walk-in shower, and the double-vanity was updated with custom storage and updated fixtures and surfaces. The walk-in closet was made larger, and a custom vanity was built in the master bedroom.
6. The lower-level guest bathroom was converted to a changing room with soaking tub/shower and an exterior door for access to the swimming pool.
7. Two spare bedrooms on the lower level were converted to individual office spaces. 8. An unused room on the upper level was converted to a true guest suite with a full-sized bathroom for their grown children and new grandchild to enjoy on extended visits.
NARI Judges Comments on the Winning Entry for this Project
“Great job of meeting the needs of the clients. Brilliant design decision to centrally locate the Dining Room. The fireplace and ceiling treatments create dramatic visuals for the Great Room. Beautiful project!”